Every Saturday, the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama is the home of the Junior Conservatoire. From your child’s very first steps in music through to intensive preparation for conservatoire-level training, the Junior Conservatoire offers opportunities for children and young people to learn in a stimulating and supportive environment, and to realise their full musical potential.
The Junior Conservatoire offers the only training of its kind in Wales, immersing students in a specialist environment where they can benefit from an intensive and holistic musical education. Crucially, it allows them to share these experiences with other young people, whose interests and goals are similar to their own. The aim is to enable students to explore their full potential, and to lay the foundations for a successful and fulfilling musical life.
- Advanced Course – for ages 8-18 and at the heart of the Junior Conservatoire. The Advanced Course enables talented young musicians to benefit from training at one of the UK’s leading music conservatoires.
- Music First – a stepping stone for children aged 7-11 who have started their musical education and want to develop their skills quickly through regular instrumental lessons.
- Mini Music – a chance for children aged 4-8 to take their first steps in music through rhythmic movement and singing activities.
Free Online Auditions and Consultations
Free online auditions for entry to the Junior Conservatoire in September 2020 are open – download an application form and audition guidance.
The closing date for applications is 31 July 2020.
Advanced Course applicants: late applications will be considered, however please be aware that, if successful:
- bursary funding is unlikely to be available after the 31 July deadline; families who wish to apply for bursary assistance are therefore strongly advised to apply by 31 July
- some chamber/ensemble options may not be available for late applicants
As a guide:
- the Advanced Course entry level for younger applicants (year 7) is approximately Grade 5 * (ABRSM) with merit/distinction. A higher standard is generally expected of older students, however, consideration will be given to musical potential as well as age and instrument.
- the entry level for Music First is approximately Grade 1 * (ABRSM).
* It is not a requirement for these exams to have been taken.
Piano applicants must have access to an acoustic piano at home.