- For students wishing to specialise in stage management for the theatre and live events
- Taught elements starting in September and running full time until Easter of the following year with a flexible 12-month period to complete the first component
- Tuition and supervision from a team of established industry practitioners
- Masterclasses and seminars from leading industry experts
- Training in the full range of skills required to be a professional stage manager or event manager
- Core skills module covering job roles, budgets, health and safety, essential lighting and sound, scheduling and CAD
- Management in Context module covering planning, problem-solving, management theory, logistics, team working and career planning
- Up to four six-week placements on productions/events, up to two of these with professional companies
- Option to undertake a work placement in the College’s venue at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Final component involving the completion of a Professional Practice Portfolio based on your professional employment, with support and mentoring from College tutors
Please note that, while the information below reflects the programme offered to date, it may be subject to amendment and change in future years. Students are always consulted on such change and details are made available to applicants holding offers.
In order to progress through the course, students normally have to pass all modules and achieve 180 credits.
Module Credits Practical Skills 20 Management in Context 20 Placement 1 & 2 40 Placement 3 & 4 40 Professional Practice Portfolio 60
The programme is suitable for graduates of any discipline who want to work within stage and event management in the technical theatre industry and/or the live events industry. The College also considers applications from people who seek formal training after working in the theatre or related entertainment and event industries. All applicants are expected to be able to demonstrate significant practical experience and a good understanding of the stage management profession.
Final selection is made on the basis of an interview.
International applicants whose first language is not English will need to demonstrate that their English language ability meets the College’s minimum requirements. Please refer to our English Language Requirements page for details of accepted English language tests and required scores.
Tuition Fees for 2022-2023
|Course Duration||Students from the UK, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man||Overseas Students|
|15 months full time||£10,549 *||£22,505 *|
* This is the full amount. The fee also includes the Professional Practice Portfolio module.