- Fully mentored programme, tailored to each individual’s specific skills and experience
- Training in acting methodologies, rehearsal techniques, principal singing languages and movement
- Exploration of different operatic forms, styles and conventions
- Collaborating across the various creative disciplines involved in operatic productions
- Investigation of artistic relationships, including the design process and the conductor’s role
- Involvement with a range of operatic productions and projects
- Directing in-house opera scenes projects
- Observation of professional practice, both in RWCMD and at Welsh National Opera
- Fully-negotiated industry placement in a professional UK opera company, focusing on the role of staff director and associated areas of expertise
Please note that, while the information below reflects the programme offered to date, it may be subject to amendment and change in future years. Students are always consulted on such change and details are made available to applicants holding offers.
In order to progress through the course, students normally have to pass all modules and achieve 180 credits.
Module Credits The Opera Professional 20 Research Project 40 Directing Skills 1 40 Directing Skills 2 40 Industry Practice 40
Entry is by interview, and candidates should be able to demonstrate significant experience of and engagement with the opera/theatre world. Professionals already working in these areas, but seeking to enhance their skills, are encouraged to apply. Minimum entry requirements usually include a 2:1 degree in music or an equivalent qualification, although the College is able to consider applications from people without formal qualifications if they have an exceptional level of ability, practical experience, and a good understanding of the opera profession.
All applicants are required to demonstrate the highest levels of communication skills in spoken English. This will be assessed at interview.
Tuition Fees for Entry 2020
|Course Duration||UK and EU Students||Students from Outside the EU|
|13 months full time||£10,796 *||£21,213 *|
* This is the full amount.