The pre-sessional programme is typically held at the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama however, with the current COVID-19 situation and the on-going closure of IELTS and other test centres, the College has teamed up with the University of South Wales to deliver this course online.
We begin on Thursday 25th June with an online induction, with teaching starting on Monday 29th June. Classes run every weekday for 10 weeks and the course officially ends on Tuesday 8th September with results and feedback sessions.
Will successful completion of this pre-sessional online English language course be sufficient to obtain a Visa?
Yes! You will be tested at the end of this course. If you succeed, you will NOT need any additional English language test and can apply for your Tier 4 Student Visa with this qualification.
Application and supporting documentation to be received no later than Thursday 11th June.
This course combines Academic Preparation, General English and Study Skills. You will also be required to complete assignments, self-directed study and instrumental practice outside of class hours. The course aims to raise a student’s English level by the equivalent of one IELTS band (1.0) and adjust to life in the UK and at the College before the start of the academic year in September. You will have the opportunity to complete practice tests and will also be required to sit a formal examination at the end of the course.
- Academic Preparation focuses on improving your English for academic purposes, developing the necessary skills, techniques and strategies required to achieve the required level.
- General English focuses on the use of English in everyday situations, enabling you to improve your grammar, vocabulary, comprehension and communication, in order to strengthen your knowledge of English and to build confidence in using English.
- Study Skills focuses on appropriate referencing, note-taking, understanding lectures, summarising, critical analysis, reflection, presentations, seminars and tutorials. These skills will be essential when studying your main course.
Course tuition fees for the 10-week programme: £3,650
Qualifications for Entry on to the 10-week Pre-sessional Course
|Courses||Minimum Level Required||IELTS Academic||TOEFL iBT / TOEFL Special Home Edition||PTE Academic|
|BMus (Hons) Music,
BMus (Hons) Jazz,
BA (Hons) Design for Performance,
MA Design for Performance,
Postgraduate Diploma – Music
BA (Hons) Stage Management & Technical Theatre,
|MMus – Music (13 months intensive)||Overall Score||5.5||68||51|
|MA Arts Management||Overall Score||6.0||78||54|
If you already have an IELTS or other certificate that is under two years old then this can be used for entry on to the pre-sessional English course, providing you achieve the minimum grades above.
How to Apply
- a copy of your current IELTS or equivalent certificate
- a copy of personal details page of your passport
- a passport photograph of yourself
In order to study this course online you will need to access our online learning environment, which is accessible worldwide. This information will be emailed to you using the email address you have confirmed within your application form. If this changes, please let us know by emailing email@example.com. Once you have applied and paid your deposit, you will be sent your enrolment email as we approach your course start date. You will need basic IT skills to study the course online and will need: Internet access with a reasonably good bandwidth and a comfortable and quiet space to study.
We strongly recommend that you familiarise yourself with visa regulations and requirements as soon as possible. You can find information on the Visas and Immigrations website: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa