- Weekly choral conducting class working with singers
- Individual and small group specialist vocal tuition including language classes
- Observation and participation in RWCMD choral rehearsals including College Chorus and Chamber Choir
- Choral repertoire, score preparation and aural skills class
- Observation of conductors within a professional context: BBC National Chorus of Wales, City of Birmingham Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Chorus
- Opportunities to direct RWCMD ensembles, rehearsals and productions
- Opportunities to conduct self-promoted student performances
- Conducting placements with partnerships choirs in the Cardiff area
- Masterclasses with internationally renowned choral directors
- Advanced principal study tuition from professional musicians
- Training in career development, self-promotion and sustainable technique
- International masterclass series
- Fully integrated performance programme by international artists
- Opportunities to work on historical instruments, supported by Informed Performance classes and seminars
- Wide range of performance opportunities in world-class facilities
- Optional work-based learning module
- Optional training in advanced teaching skills, outreach, sound recording and arts management
- Opportunity to create and curate own performance projects
- Focus on employability and transferable skills
- Opportunities to study abroad at a partner conservatoire via the ERASMUS Exchange Programme
Please note that, while the information below reflects the programme offered to date, it may be subject to amendment and change in future years. Students are always consulted on such change and details are made available to applicants holding offers.
In order to progress from year one to year two on a two-year postgraduate course, students normally have to pass all first year modules.
Module Credits Choral Conducting 1 40 Choral Conducting 2 40 The Professional Musician 20
Optional Modules (Choose One)
Module Credits Advanced Teaching Skills 20 Advanced Outreach Skills 20 Advanced Sound Recording 20 Career Management 20 Creative Project 20 Individual Project 20 Orchestral Audition 20 Portfolio of Compositions 20 Portfolio of Arrangements 20 Vocational Project 20
Entry is by audition and candidates should be able to demonstrate a level of performance ability appropriate for professional training. Minimum entry requirements usually include an undergraduate degree in music or an equivalent qualification. Candidates who have been studying or working in another field will be considered.
International applicants whose first language is not English will need to demonstrate that their English language ability meets the College’s minimum requirements. Please refer to our English Language Requirements page for details of accepted English language tests and required scores.
Tuition Fees for Entry 2021
|Course Duration||UK and EU Students||Students from Outside the EU||Students from the Channel Islands and Isle of Man|
|10 months intensive||£10,355 *||£20,580 *||£15,468 *|
|2 years full time||£10,090 **||£20,155 **||£15,120 **|
* This is the full amount.
** This amount is for the first year only. The tuition fee payable in the second year is subject to an annual increase.