Apart from high demand items, everything you borrow will automatically renew for up to a year, unless requested by someone else. This means that you will not be fined for forgetting to renew your items! You will incur fines if you don’t bring back an item that another user has requested, or keep something for more than a year, so keep an eye on your inbox for emails that ask you to return items. You can also manage your account and see your due dates by logging into your account.
1 week or 3 week loan items will automatically renew two days before the due date, as long as no one else has requested them and you have not had them for a year. You will not receive an email for each renewal. You will always be sent an email when you need to bring an item back (with a minimum of two days’ notice).
Items borrowed from our High Demand area are only overnight loans and cannot be renewed.
You can still renew items yourself, via your Library account – see ‘logging into your account’ below.
If you have any concerns or questions about your renewals, please contact us to discuss this.
If the item you need is out on loan, remember to request it!
The automatic renewal of library books means that you don’t get fines for simply forgetting to renew, but it also means that an item borrowed by someone else could be out all year if you don’t let us know that you need it too.
Requesting is simple and means that you can pick up the item by the date it is currently issued until, as long as the borrower returns it on time. The borrower will receive an email to let them know it has been requested, so they may even bring it in sooner.
Our Library catalogue makes it easy to see everything we have, even if it is not on the shelf. The catalogue will show you if the item you want to borrow is out on loan. Simply log in (see ‘logging into your account’ below) and click on the Request link from the Locations tab.
Once you have placed a request, the current borrower will be asked to return the item. As long as the current borrower returns the item, you will receive an email when the item is ready for collection and you will have 7 days to pick it up from the Library.
There is also a handy ‘Virtual browse’ feature which helps you to find similar items.
You can place a request through the Library catalogue all year apart from during vacations, when you will need to contact the Library (since we never expect items to be returned outside of term time).
Please note: if a book with a request is not returned on the date requested, not only will it accrue fines from that date, but an automatic stop will be put on the Library account.
Automatic renewals will continue through vacation periods but requests will not be active during this time (i.e. you won’t find that something you have borrowed for the summer is suddenly due back).
Logging into your account
- Go to the Library catalogue http://librarycatalogue.rwcmd.ac.uk/
- Click the Sign in link in the top right corner of the screen.
- You will be taken to a login screen where you need to click on the ‘Staff a myfyrwyr CBCDC / RWCMD staff and students’ link and enter your RWCMD login details (the ones you use to access your RWCMD email). If you are on campus or have already logged into your email account, you should be logged in automatically.
- When you are logged-in, you will see your name appear in the top right corner of the screen. You can then click on the My Account link to see the items you have on loan and their due dates. You will also be able to see your requests, and any fines or blocks you have on your account.
Your account will be blocked in the following situations:
- If you have an overdue item requested by someone else.
- If you owe more than £10.
- If you have a ‘lost’ item and have not contacted us to discuss.
- If you have not cleared your account (items and charges) before the summer vacation begins.
In all these cases, we advise that you get in touch as soon as possible if you are having any difficulty.