This programme provides extensive training relevant to the requirements and demands of professional opera companies, addressing important employability issues that will become increasingly significant in the coming decade.
- One-to-one singing lessons and repertoire coaching
- Individual tuition with eminent professional singers and leading coaches
- Specialist tuition in Italian, French and German
- Fully integrated classes in stagecraft including movement and dance
- Tuition in dramatic and interpretative skills
- Classes focusing on professional etiquette and opera protocol, developing an awareness of collaborative working practices
- Professional operatic working practices with professional directors and repetiteurs
- Public performance in a fully staged opera
- Opera scenes presentations including baroque and contemporary works as well as standard repertoire
- Opportunities to observe and shadow Welsh National Opera (WNO) concert party events, WNO Max projects and selected studio rehearsals
- WNO chorus mentors by request
- Intensive training in audition technique
- Detailed study and preparation of a complete operatic role for presentation at a professionally equivalent audition and working session. This is usually assessed by a Head of Music from one of the main UK opera companies
Please note that, while the information below reflects the programme offered to date, it may be subject to amendment and change in future years. Students are always consulted on such change and details are made available to applicants holding offers.
In order to progress from year one to year two, students normally have to pass all first year modules.
Module Credits The Opera Professional 1 20 The Collaborative Performer 20 Talking Text & Creating Character 20 Opera Performance 1 40
Module Credits Opera Ensemble Project 20 Opera Performance 2 40 The Opera Professional 2 20
Entry is by audition and candidates should be able to demonstrate a level of performance ability appropriate for professional training. Minimum entry requirements usually include a 2:1 degree in music or an equivalent qualification, although the College is able to consider applications from people without formal qualifications if they have an exceptional level of ability, practical experience, and a good understanding of the opera profession.
International applicants whose first language is not English will need to demonstrate that their English language ability meets the College’s minimum requirements. Please refer to our English Language Requirements page for details of accepted English language tests and required scores.
Tuition Fees for 2022-2023
|Course Duration||Students from the UK, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man||Overseas Students|
|2 years full time||£13,792 *||£23,245 *|
* This amount is for the first year only. The tuition fee payable in the second year is subject to an annual increase.