Auditioning for Acting Courses
We take new
students onto our Acting Courses in September each year.
Auditions for our 2013-2014 Acting Courses will be held on
Saturday 29th June 2013 and the deadline for
applications is Thursday 20th June. Please click here to request an application form.
There are only a limited number of audition places available so we
recommend that you apply early to reserve your audition place.
Following a 60 minute group workshop you will be asked to
present two contrasting speeches to the audition
panel and to the other members of your audition group. Your
speeches should be no longer than two minutes
As well as assessing your potential and suitability for
training, the Audition Panel (which includes the YAS Leader as well
as YAS Tutors) places a high value on:
- Generosity when working with others
- Responsiveness to direction
- Facility with text
We also make the following recommendations:
- Read the whole play
- Select speeches which reveal your range and your strengths
- Avoid speeches by characters much older than yourself. (This
doesn’t mean you have to be the same age as the character in the
play but you have to be able to deliver the words believably.)
- Examine the characters carefully
- Avoid using an accent other than your own, unless you are
absolutely secure in it.
- Avoid telephone speeches
- Ensure you are secure in remembering the speeches you have
- Do not use props
- Wear appropriate clothing which will allow you to move easily
Throughout your time with us the panel will seek to put you at
ease and to make the experience an enjoyable and constructive one.
Although it will not be possible for parents/guardians/friends to
accompany you in the audition room itself, they are welcome to wait
for you in main reception.
You will receive notification of the result of your audition by
post. Your audition score sheet will be made available to you on