Immigration Information for UK-based International Students

Immigration information for UK based international students

In order to enrol at the Royal Welsh College you will have to show your passport to College staff to provide evidence of your immigration status. If you do not have a valid visa that enables you to study then you will not be able to enrol.

Non EEA Nationals can potentially apply for one of two types of visa in order to study in the UK: a Tier 4 Student Visa applied for using a Royal Welsh College CAS, or a Student Visitor Visa.

There are also a limited number of other visa categories which may enable international students to study in the UK. If you currently hold a visa in a different category and would like to know whether it is suitable for study then please contact the Admissions Team:

If you are currently based in the UK and do not have a Royal Welsh College Tier 4 student visa then you should consider whether you fall into one of the following two categories and take the appropriate actions relevant to your circumstances:

1. You have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, holding the sponsor licence number of a different institution which was applied for between 31st March 2009 – 5th of October 2009

You should read carefully the information on the UKBA guide to making a change to your studies for more information on how you must inform the UK Border Agency that you are changing to study a different course at a different University.

As you will see from the guide to making a change to your studies the action you must take is dependant on when you applied for your visa and on whether you have enough time on your current visa to complete your course.

2. You have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, holding the sponsor licence number of a different institution which was applied for AFTER the 5th of October 2009

You must apply for a new Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study at the Royal Welsh College. Unless your visa has either expired or been curtailed by the UK Border Agency, you must make this application within the UK. If you try and make this application overseas it will be refused.

Ideally you should have successfully applied for and received your visa prior to enrolment. You should consult the UKBA guide to extending your student visa and start the application procedure immediately.

As the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama holds Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS) status, you will be able to enrol as long as you can provide evidence that you have submitted an in-time Tier 4 (G) application. However, you should be aware that the UK Border Agency could refuse your visa application and so you may not be able to enrol on your new course.

If you have any queries regarding this information please do not hesitate to contact staff in the Admissions team for advice.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is given in good faith and has been carefully checked with The UK Council for International Student Affairs and the UK Border Agency. However please note that the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy. Immigration law is subject to change; please ensure that you have the most up to date information by checking the websites listed under the “Useful resources” subheading above.